In the week of Diwali, we are reminding people of the steps they can take to protect themselves against high value gold theft and burglaries.
Here are some useful tips to help people protect their homes:
• do not leave valuables on display in your home so that they can be seen from outside
• if possible, keep your high value gold in a commercial safety deposit box rather than at home
• if you do keep your jewellery at home, store it in a good quality safe that has been secured to the floor or the wall
• use immobilise.com to keep an inventory of your jewellery, and include photographs and value of each item
• when leaving your home, ensure doors and windows are locked, and use timer switches to make sure your home looks occupied
Below is some personal safety advice:
• when wearing jewellery in public, be cautious and discreet to avoid attracting unwanted attention
• always travel to and from your celebration in a group using well-lit streets. Try to avoid walking alone. If you drive, keep your car locked and remember where it is parked
• if you are leaving or arriving at a safety deposit box facility, be vigilant and go with another family member. Secure jewellery in a closed bag.