We're dedicated to keeping our customers safe and warm all year round. However, cold temperatures and unpredictable winter weather can sometimes cause problems with your gas pipes. Here’s our advice for if your boiler has stopped working and how to keep warm in winter.
Has your boiler stopped working?
- Call a Gas Safe registered engineer for further assistance on 0800 408 5500.
- Alternatively, contact your gas supplier if you have home care cover.
- Has your boiler's condensate pipe frozen? Cold weather can freeze the condensate pipe, which is the external pipe that takes condensation from your boiler to your drain outside. If you suspect your boiler isn’t working because your condensate pipe has frozen, here’s some top tips from British Gas on how to safely thaw your pipe:
1. Hold a hot water bottle, or heat wrap, around the pipe.
2. Pour hot, not boiling, water over the frozen end of the pipe with a watering can or kettle
3. If you think the pipe is unfrozen, try switching the boiler on again. You might need to reset it.
4. If your boiler fires up, it’s fixed. If it doesn’t, then pour hot water on the pipe again.
Stay warm and well
Here are a few simple ideas to keep your heating costs down and help you stay healthy during the winter months:
- Wear warm clothes in layers
- Turn radiators off in unused rooms and close internal doors to keep the heat in
- Think about installing thermostatic valves on radiators in rooms you use the most
- Moving furniture away from radiators allows heat to circulate better
- Closing your curtains keeps the heat in and draughts out
- Ask about any benefits or grants you might be entitled to such as winter fuel payments and insulation costs
- Have a hot drink regularly and have a flask handy if you find moving about difficult. Eat small amounts regularly throughout the day
- Keep a list of useful/emergency contacts and local organisations which support people like you by your phone
- Keep torches, a battery-powered radio and spare batteries where they’re easy to find in the dark in case of power cuts
Have you registered for the Priority Service Register? If there is a supply interruption and you’re a listed Priority Service Register (PSR) customer we’ll provide you with temporary heating and cooking appliances within four hours to make sure you stay warm and can have a hot meal.
Call our Customer Careline on 0800 975 1818 to speak to us about your supplier’s Priority Services Register or find more information about the PSR here: https://www.sgn.co.uk/Responsibility/Vulnerable-Customers
Customer Experience Manager